Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pros and cons ...

... of being in the middle of nowhere, Afghanistan



Con: My min-satellite thinks I'm in Pakistan
Pro: My editors don't know where to find me to complain about stories

Con: It's pitch black out here at 8pm
Pro: There are some very pretty stars out here

Con: It's very difficult to get decent food this far down range
Pro: That finally gives me an excuse to eat those Pop-Tarts

Con: We're on the sunny side of a desert mountain
Pro: It's still cooler than the sunny side of a desert plain, which was the last stop

Con: All mail and newspapers arrive here a week late
Pro: If I write something really bad, they won't see it until I'm gone

Con: There are no phones I can use anywhere on base
Pro: Yet somehow there is still an internet line in my room

So we're still doing dandy out here in Pakista... Afghanistan. I think.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dig all the pastel colors in the photos. You probably have a faster internet connection than my dial up. Snap.

Anonymous said...

OK, the real question is this? How hot is it on a desert mountain compared to a desert plain? But more importantly is this...how well does a Pop-Tart hold up in that sort of climate?

Anonymous said...

it was 107 in the shop today a i got chicken for dinner. u r in the middle of nowhere with temps over a 100 n u get lobster! where did i go wrong??

Anonymous said...

I am watching the "Day after Tomorrow" and New York is under 15 feet of snow, so quit complaining about the heat, could be worse. I will send you an email tomorrow, the library was closed tonight.

Anonymous said...

It looks boring, I don't exactly understand what I am looking at!!! The shore was hot and very nice and the Doyle-D'Auria Family was very gracious to let us drop in on them today. Looking forward to your next posting and sending buckets of love to you.

Anonymous said...

Mom Shane brings up a good point. What the heck are we looking at? It looks like a construction site or a mining operation. What are those things on the right? They look like giant road barriers.

Capt. Awesome said...

That is construction equipment, but those barriers are for ... uhhh ... stopping people. They're about five feet tall and made of all sorts of concrete and stuff to ... uh ... stop things that might be coming very fast. Out in the distance there is a lookout tower.

Anonymous said...

wait, why are you people worried about the picture? it doesn't look much different then the last bunch... you all should be very concerned about where leo found pop tarts and how long has he been carrying them around before deciding to eat them this week.

Anonymous said...

i know the real reason you all come here is to hear how i'm doing. i'm doing well, thank you. our power was just off for 20 hours but it just came back on so i can get surf the internet once more!