Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Italia! Italia!

I spent the evening yesterday in a German city drinking an Austrian beer in a Mexican resturant watching Italian fans go crazy over the soccer game. I can't think of a better way to celebrate America's independence.

I also learned several very important lessons: There are a lot of Italians in Germany right now, so many that several major routes in Darmstadt were closed down as they cruised around waving their flags and honking their horns (outside my hotel, until 3am). And I wish I had my voice recorder on me during the game, because I could have captured the sound of an entire nation screaming at once when Germany gave up that goal in the 118th minute.

They keep telling me that at some point I'll start doing work over here, but so far it's just beer, soccer and sleep, not necessarily in that order.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very exciting! Eat your veggies!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap...the Sillies frickin won? Too soon to tell, but my prediction of them ending up 20 games below 500 by the time you get back may not come true. By the way, I was warmly greeted this morning by my Jewish boss thanking me for my Italian brethren beating the lousy stinkin Germans last night 2-nil in overtime...just thought you find that a bit elbow-to-the-ribs funny ha ha. Sorry they kept you up last night...I'll put a call into my relatives in Ortoona and ask them all to quiet down. Any Eagles fans sightings? Inquiring minds want to know...and knowing is half the battle.

Capt. Awesome said...

No Eagles fans yet, but I'm still with the Germans. Looks like I'm getting hooked up with a unit out of Louisiana, so I'm gonna be hearing even more stories about Reggie Bush. Oh joy.

Anonymous said...

The Italians are everywhere. Before I left Prague, Italian tourists arrived as early as March. They can be identified by their wrap-around sunglasses two sizes too big. Then Italian soccer fans kept me up all night in Nuremberg after they won a world cup match. I'm all in favor of showing support to your team, but honking while waving your flag from your car window and chanting the same fight song from midnight until 5 a.m. must get boring even for the most loyal of fans. But the highlight was when the Italian soccer fans taunted the French in their own country -- in Nice -- after they won the world cup. It was amazing that no riots broke out.