Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hungry yet?

Today was pretty calm out here; I did a quick story about another big offensive, about 70 miles east of where I am, so it's nowhere near me, everybody calm down, OK? It'll be in tomorrow's paper.

So, I thought I'd take a moment and tell you how exciting my meals were today.

Military dining halls aren't that bad, except the milk is kinda nasty and the first thing you see when you walk in is this:


It's just like the PowerSauce bars from the Simpsons -- "Unleash the awesome power of the apple! -- which I find hilarious, but apparently they really expect us to eat them.

For the first time since I got here I managed to find some cranberry juice AND Smart Start cereal, so it was just like being at home (except 102 degrees and very dusty). For dinner, I had lobster tail again -- apparently this is a military standard once a week, probably because of all the great seafood you can catch out here in the desert.

And last night, for a midnight snack, I had a slush puppy, which I believe is banned food in the states nowadays. It's not a slurpee, but then again I am pretty far from 7-11.

I'm traveling again sometime tomorrow, this time just a quick hop one province away, so as always I can't predict how posting will go over the next few days. But I'll do my best, and let y'all know when the filet mingon gets here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

GET SAUCED WITH POWERSAUCE!!! mmmm... apple cores and chinese newspapers... mmmm.
but i wonder... why does the wrapper picture 4 green apples and only 2 red apples? those racist american bounty jerks.

hey, the phila inquirer today suggests sleeping under a wet blanket to keep cool, or visiting the polar bears at the zoo... got either of those hanging around the base?

travel safely and stay cool!

Anonymous said...

So you are sweating from the heat, but not the meat apparently? I'm on it. I wonder if Omaha Steaks delivers to Afghanistan???

Anonymous said...

Hope your next traveling experience is nice and easy. Take care of yourself, am glad you have lobster...it probably has some good Omega-3- fatty acids that are good for your heart.

Anonymous said...

here are 2 important things i learned while reading the national geographic mag today:
1)approx. 10 thousand trillion ants cover the earth; roughly the same weight as humankind... how many have you counted today?
2)ngmag has a 'your shot' article every month where people can submit their own pix to be published in the mag or on the website. Aug's theme (to be published in Nov) is 'around the table' which made me think of the pic you posted from the bridge opening picinic. entries are accepted starting aug 15, so you can do it when you get home if you're interested. and you said you can't take a good picture...maybe you could be a ng photojournalist!!!

Daddy Blogger said...

Reporter's Notebook: Actually Slush Puppies are served in the states. Shannon had one on the Fourth - bluish colored and kind of slushy but a little too Tidy Bowl-esque for one to want to put in one's mouth. I drank a sip and decided to stick to water. But I'm pretty sure Apple Crisp flavored Whole Grain Energy Bars are still way illegal here. Also, Lee, I think Osama Steaks has cornered the market on frozen meat products in Afghanistan. I read it in NG Mag.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm....Osama Steaks....

Capt. Awesome said...

I don't even know where to start with you kids ... Although I still think Beth wins for the "racist" comment. You're all freaking hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I found original slush puppies -- the kind you add ice and then flavor to, not that pre-mixed crap-- at a gas station in Wooster, Ohio. Been looking for them ever since.

-Er

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure "original slushpuppies" are just what somebody's kid made in their Snoopy snowcone machine.

I don't know about Tidy Bowl, Mr. Thal, but Ny-Quil cherry flavoring would be awesome.

There's a shady 7-11 (redundant, I know) four blocks from the house here. Mer made me get one the first day. She doesn't know it's a Leo obsession, but 'm sure it was I believe it was a tribute to you.