Tuesday, July 25, 2006

And we're back!!!

New laptop + another move = return to posting

I'm back online, back in Kandahar and not too much worse for the wear. The old equipment is about to be dumped into the Afghanistan desert as soon as I can get the rest of my files off it, and my new laptop seems to be working just fine.

So, let's catch up on the last few days:

What happened with that laptop anyways?
I'd like to say it was an Army conspiracy, but this was just good old fashioned carelessness. As I was moving from one place to another, my bags got thrown into the back of a Humvee with a pretty full trunk. Before I could stop the Afghan interpreter from crushing my electronics, he slammed the lid down twice, then sat on it to click it shut. I knew before I opened the bag that something was gonna be toast.

A few bucks and a few days later I have a brand new set of equipment, and it didn't slow down my work at all, just my communications back home. But we're all good now, so there's no sense taking out my former rage on an Afghan linguist. I mean, no sense in taking it out on another one.

So, what have you been doing?
Afghan National Army's perfomance is inconsistent
U.S. releases Taliban sympathizer in political move
Unit honors fallen soldier
I've got a few more coming too.

What, no photos?
Blogger is being cranky today, and I'm just happy to be back communicating with the real world. So we're not gonna push it tonight.

So where are you?
After spending the last week in Zabul province in souther Afghanistan, I'm out of the mountains and back in the desert. I'll be here for about a week, then probably head back north.

The time in the mountains was a blast, but it was also exhausting, so I'm crashing pretty hard. I'll write more for y'all in the next few days, but thanks for keeping the comments lively and the good thoughts headed my way.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news dude. We missed you.

It sounds like you're having some amazing experiences. Can't wait to hear and see more when you get back.

Anonymous said...

glad you're back in business... can't wait for more pictures. mom is in the pocono's with grandmom, aunt betty and aunt fran this week, so i'll speak for her and say don't ever tell her the real story about your laptop (just add it to the list of things you've lied to her about over the years). and dad and kate went to visit them last night into today 'cause they can't figure out how to work the kitchen sink without her.
me, i'd just like to ask you a few questions: are you really attached to the current location of the bathrooms at fort awesome? and what do you think about a roof-top hot tub? i need answers kindof soon, 'cause i'm only here a couple days this week, so i've gotta figure out how many of the holes have to be covered up. oh yeah, and you need a fence (a high one) 'cause i signed you up to raise a baby tiger... he should arrive shortly after you get home.
it's good to hear from you. stay safe and cool.
:)

Anonymous said...

booger, please do not tell Mrs. SmartyPants where you managed to wrangle a baby tiger. Seriously, if you do, I'm sure to spend the next few weeks installing a new fence, then apologizing to my neighbors for the tiger eating their dogs after the dogs hopped the fence, and then installing an even taller fence. I'd really rather not have to deal with all that theater.

Cap, welcome back to the electronic age. Good luck keeping this laptop in one piece.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back blogging and, more importantly, that you're ok. Looking forward to reading more about your time in Afghanistan after you've rested.

Anonymous said...

Well, we sure are glad to see you back on line. Missed hearing from you. Usually check for your news first thing when I get to work. Believe me, it's the highlight of my day. So I'm looking forward to reading more tomorrow. Joanna said you were finally able to call again so that's great news too. Better get home soon - you may not recognize your house once Beth and Joanna get done with it. I'm likin' the roof top hot tub idea though.....how 'bout you?
Take care of yourself...Love Mom D

Anonymous said...

Contrary to what others have said, I do know how to work the kitchen sink. You turn the knob and water comes out. I use it every day. Now the microwave and the clothes washer, they're a different animal. Kate is bringing me along slowly but I think I can get the hang of it by the weekend. Tomorrow, Kate says I can push the buttons. Wow
Leo, we're glad your back on line. More importantly, we're glad everything is ok. Mom sends her love from the mountains as does GMom, aunt Fran and aunt Betty.

Anonymous said...

hey leo! i'm glad the new labtop is working well.

EAGLES TRAINING CAMP STARTED ON SATURDAY! and i noticed that pinkston is back on the team. TODD PINKSTON! yea..the guy who is freakishly skinny and weighs less than i do...the guy when someone pushes him he's out all season...the guy that you can like flick across the feild... the guy that cant catch for his life. yea. that guy. but chris said to give him a chance so i guess i will.
donavan lost a bunch of weight(and i doubt it was by eating all the chunky cambell soup..haha i crack myself up)by taking dance lessons..HAHHA! that's ok i love him anyway. plus correl buckhalter looks awesome...so i think they should altogether have a great season!

ok well my mom's already saying that i've written too much so i guess i'll report later on some other fun stuff. until then...<3

Capt. Awesome said...

Forget this blog -- why don't we have G and Lil' G doing daily Eagles posts? Or more importantly, their own radio show with frequent guest goomba Major Dingus?

Anonymous said...

(Just watched A BRONX TALE again, so read this as if either Bobby D or Chazz Palminteri...eihter will do):

So, I guess that there Little G is aight by me, you know? She knows her (expletive) when it comes to the ole pigskin, ya know what I mean? Pinkston? FUUUUUUGET About It!!! He'll do aight by me. Why? Cause I said so. And if any of you no good lousy stinkin' wannabe so called "fans" that jump on and off that Eagles' bandwagon any time they are down, we gonna have to have a little sit down my friend. You, me, and the fishes, you know what I mean? You...Little G...yoooooouuuu...you are good my friend. Na na na na...you are GOOD. (Just realized reading this like Pesci would also work extremely well...add a hammer or baseball bat reference or something about going over Ma's for some sausage and peppers, you'll get the gist).
My vote for the hot tub would be right next to the patio/screen porch thing...but with a SLIDING BOARD going from the roof into the hot tub...now thats pure genius.

Anonymous said...

Aw, you killed it. Deniro never said the phrase 'hot tub' until hid Analyze This days.

Anonymous said...

Leo,
I'm glad to see that you got a new laptop and are trying to move on even though something happend to your old one. I hope you won't have any trouble getting the old information of you other computer. I'm also glad that you didn't scream at anyone also.