Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Another day, another base

In the last week I’ve already slept in four different beds, and tonight we’ll make it five. I headed up north to Kabul today to get my press stuff squared away, and I’ll be moving back south tomorrow to actually embed with my unit and start working. (Of course, I’ve already written three stories, but I haven’t done any work yet.)

At this point, I just want to get somewhere where I can find the bathrooms quickly. But this camp does have a laundromat, so everyone at my next stop will be very much appreciative of that.

Since the pictures were such a hit yesterday (and since I’m using a good old commercial internet line this time) let’s throw a few more scenes out there for you:


This is Bagram Air Base, really the hub of all U.S. operations in Afghanistan. Note the imposing mountains in the distance – when the Russians first came here this was a valley swamp which they promptly filled in to make a landing strip. So now the area is a searing dust bowl, but when the skies clear the mountains are really incredible looking.

For my trip up to Kabul I took a helicopter, and as is standard every time I’m in a helicopter…


… they left one of the doors open. Seriously, this is the fifth open-air 1,000-foot-altitude flight I’ve taken in my life (including one in a biplane, I kid you not). And I’ve got a thing with heights. This dude sat on the edge of the bird the whole flight, scanning the ground for bad guys and acting as if he was lounging in a deck chair (note the little cushion under his tushie). I managed not to hyperventilate this time, but I did have a good white-knuckles grip on that camera.

More pictures coming when I get home of everything, but I wanted to give y’all a glimpse at over here. It’s very gray and khaki everywhere, but there are the occasional blotches of hue that remind me I haven’t gone colorblind yet.

Also, we’ll have some more story links tomorrow (with professional pictures this time). If you can’t wait, you know where to find them, anytime after 5pm today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, the height thing. Hope that Uncle Hughie, Sir doesn't see these pictures...remember how upset he got when you climbed up to the top of Mary's Rock in Shenandoah???
And that soldier who is hanging out of the helicopter...does his mother know what he is doing???
Take care of yourself, your Mother worries.

Anonymous said...

See...I bet you're glad I tricked you into that hot air balloon ride. At least on this thing you had a seat.

Anonymous said...

wow! i just threw up chunks! u a better man than me. fear of heights is unfounded. its the fear of the sudden stop at the end.soldier on pillow has problem. i checked with his momma and the pillow is his security pillow he got when he was 2 years old. i will sign this the same way i signed it before. it is the only thing i know in that language.....
elcnu etirovaf ru
hugh

Anonymous said...

You and Mrs Shayle never cease to amaze! Obviously, you're keeping your wits about you, Cap'n!
Stay safe and keep the news a comin'.
OH! --