Tuesday, July 04, 2006

One flight down

I landed in Frankfurt about three hours ago and am now relaxing in our European offices in ... where the heck am I? Greisham? Maybe... I dunno. But I've got a hotel and apparently a few folks to watch the soccer match tonight, so all is well.

And that's saying a lot, considering that lousy Lufthansa flight:

-- In flight movie: "Take the Lead." Antonio Banderas teaches inner city youths the joy of ballroom dancing. Ugh.

-- In flight reading: USA Today's story about how tough it is to be an Hotlanta Braves fan. Only 14 division championships in a row? My heart weeps for them.

-- In flight exercise: Balancing on one foot during the six hours of turbulence. Plane shaking while one is in the bathroom is not fun.

So I've earned that beer and soccer tonight, if I can make it until 9 pm (or, in DC time, 645am last Sunday.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely the only reason why it's better to be a girl.

Germany-Italy soccer in a german-italian restaurant. i hope some of your co-workers can say "emergency room" in German.

Stay safe...love you.

Anonymous said...

Much love, stay safe and enjoy the German beer and the soccer games.

Anonymous said...

OK. We're here having fourth of July dinner with Grandmom, watching the Phillies give up a 5-2 lead to the Padres.
We had a nice dinner, no BBQ because of the threat of rain.
Grandmom has been reasonably well behaved, and hasn't cut one all day.
OK, I'm betting the Phils lose this one in extra innings; seems consistent with what we have seen so far.
When you get to your outpost on "Fort Awesome", will you name it something? Will it be 'Camp Awesome' or 'Fort OK' or 'Hotstinky land'?
I need to know things. Which way do the toilets flush?
Do they play cricket there? Do THEY understand it?
Can I sell my Commodore 64 for a large amount of money?
Do they use English or Metric time?

Be careful, email me if you need anything and we'll send Grandmom to help you out.

Uncle Joe, Aunt Sue and the girls.

Capt. Awesome said...

I'll check and see about the Commodore 64, and all I care about with the toilets is that they flush downwards in some direction.

I'll let you all know what base I'm at as soon as I can, but we all know it won't compare to Fort Awesome.