Sunday, August 06, 2006

Pure torture

I'm sitting outside of the Bagram media center (shack) fighting with my work e-mail, and a bunch of guys from the DEA pulled out a grill and some thick steaks and chicken breasts. The delicious smoke is blowing into my face as I type. And I even though they're cooking five feet away, there's a 10-foot barbed-wire fence between me and the meats, so I've got no shot at stealing dinner.

Not cool. When I get back to Fort Awesome, I'm not sharing any of my grilling with them.

Please don't confuse this kind of torture with the Bagram detention facility across the street from the other side of the media center (shack), where I'm sure there is no torture going on whatsoever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of pounds of kielbasa cooking up next to those steaks and chicken breasts would have been the ultimate insult. I think at that point I would have attempted to take up the fine sport of "fencing" and taken a stab at it, so to speak.
Well it won't be long now when Fort Awesome will have those fine ordors wafting from it's porch. Be safe.

Dad "D"

Anonymous said...

Good to talk to you today. Much love, can't wait till you get home. Your new pet, "little nutter" is bigger than we thought and has 9 children. We're giving her (and the little darlings) the guest bedroom! And, Mrs Shayle IS allergic to squirrels, go figure!!!!

Anonymous said...

i swear i had nothing to do with the squirrels getting into fort awesome... the large hole in your roof is completely covered by the hot tub, so it can't be my fault.

actually, this could be good... the tiger's gonna need something to munch on before the steaks start cooking.

by the way, if you had a chainmaille shirt on, the barbed-wire fence would have been a non-issue.

Anonymous said...

4 hours to kickoff.

It's so sad how excited I am about a stupid pre-season game.

Of course, I think this year, the pre-season should be at least tolerable, since our backup QB is Jeff Garcia.

I hope you find a place to catch the game. And don't worry. Andy Reid has assured all of us that everything is going to be fine.