Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Mom 1, Military 0

Let this be a lesson -- don't doubt Mom's prayers. A freak sandstorm blew in as my flight was scheduled to head down to the last embed, and once it cleared up an electrical problem in an infrared light grounded the helicopter.

The bad news is I spent seven hours on the tarmac with nothing to show for it. The good news is my boss said enough is enough, and told me to stay put until Saturday and then start heading back to Germany. It won't get me home any earlier than the 18th, but it likely will keep me from getting caught in country for longer (a real concern with how unreliable these flights are.)

So I'll spend the next few days seeing if I can file a few more stories and then start looking at flights to Germany (or more likely, a return to Krysyscystan.) And, of course, I'll start setting up the fantasy football league. I think we're up to 11, but there's always room for #12. But you've gotta be able to name the Eagles starting defensive line.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to psuchick!! She deserved the mean name that I called her!!
But thank God that you are so close to getting home!!

Anonymous said...

OK. Great news. Come home soon. I think they are naming rodentia in Maryland now that you've been away.

One clarification; I'm not a football person, per se.
The starting defensive line for the Eagles is what Andy Reid says on Monday after a bad outing?

Anonymous said...

I'll just keep the Prayer-Be-Yours 28,000 running until you make it home. You never know what sorts of freak sandstorms they'll have in Germany.

Get home safely, cap'n.

Oh yeah. Try to write a few more articles before you leave. You'd better do something to justify the cost of your tickets.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have to back up Mom Shane here, as I am the only person to have punched her in the face (accidentally of course...ask her about it, it still makes me giggle...lol). Between her son dealing with sandworms and his wife with rodents (Leo II to the rescue!!!) she's doing alright by me. Now I expect an entire tray of that French toast stuff you make for Easter every year the next time I see you Mrs. Shane. MMMMMMMMM...food...

Leo...sandworms, you hate 'em, right? I hate 'em myself!

Anonymous said...

That's great news, Leo! Looking forward to seeing you back home after your layover in Germany, or, in the words of the natives, Deutschlandstayinovertimeundwaiten.
Our prayers will be with you all the way through your return home.

Anonymous said...

leo, ask ur momma to pray for eagles before next game. and i'm offensive coach not defense. and to set record straight during the game i put lamated card in front of my mouth cause i spit when i talk. people think it is a menu from wendy's.

Anonymous said...

Leeeeooooo! So what the heck are you going to do with yourself until you leave for Germany? There's a game on Yahoo Games called Bookworm...it's fun and somewhat addictive. But you sort of have to know how to spell. ;)

Cannot wait until you get home! Be safe...you're almost here!

Anonymous said...

is that really andy reid?????
i love him.

Anonymous said...

To help you prepare for your German adventure part zwei, here are some things to help you pass the time once you arrive in Deutschland.

You could join a pickup game of Ultimate Frisbee:
http://www2.upa.org/location_summaries/Germany

Or how about a boating holiday:
http://www.germany-tourism.co.uk/pages/boating_holidays.html

And don't forget that 5 of the 6 NFL Europe teams are in Germany:
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/BER
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/HAM
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/FRA
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/RHE
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/COL

Oh, and beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Have a safe trip.