Thursday, August 03, 2006

Afghan trivia for $800

Odds and ends from the last few days:

-- Forgot to mention that my trip from Kandahar to Bagram was courtesy of the 143rd Air Wing out of Rhode Island (the Rhode Warriors, as their logo says). The plane was kinda small, but you’d be amazed how many of us they fit in there.

-- I saw “Frankenfish” for sale at the post exchange today. I’m not paying $20 for it, but somebody is.

-- I spent about half the day yesterday with three AP reporters based in Pakistan; two from London, one from Afghanistan, none of whom knew who Matt Lauer is. Today most of the day was spent with a freelancer from Soldier of Fortune who uses a fake name when he writes and looks like Billy Bob Thorton. Tomorrow? Who knows?

-- I didn’t get any real work done today, but I did get a hot shower and saw two more episodes of the Simpsons, so I consider it a success.

-- In succession on TV, I also saw an ad for the Eagles pre-season game, and ad for a Phils/Mets game that’ll be on, and a shot of a boxing match in Philly where they cut away to Pat’s and Geno’s. Now they’re just taunting me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the love people? No comments for this posting? Tom? You do realize that Leo posted this about 5 hours ago. Are you feeling okay? I can't believe you weren't the first one to post. HA!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is kind of a head scratcher for the captain.
I work in Delaware. It's hot there today. My very environmentally aware employer dimmed all of the lights in the building, asked that people only use the revolving doors, closed the blinds, and then set all of the thermostats to 68 degrees. I just about needed a parka.

I'm glad we were saving energy. That way I could have enough to kick in my space heater.

I'm guessing conditioned air is a little spotty there. I'll ship you a box of it post haste.

Capt. Awesome said...

Actually, the AC availability here is better than Germany. As long as I'm in Afghanistan, I'll have an air-conditioned room. In Germany, I only get a fan.

Anonymous said...

i read it but was a bit stressed and felt a tad silly always being first. my awesome quota was filled.