Sunday, March 05, 2006

Duke loses three times in one night!

I don’t know if you caught it on Saturday, but ESPN decided that the Duke-UNC game was such an epic contest they needed to show it on three networks. ESPN1 had the game as you would expect; ESPN2 had the exact same audio feed but with camera angles from above the backboard; ESPNU had the exact same audio feed but had cameras focused on the fans.

And, just for good measure, ESPNnews was giving updates, if you couldn’t follow what the other channels were telling you.

At halftime, everyone in America appeared on a halftime show to comment on how awesome the blue-on-blue violence was. Over on ESPNDesportes, I saw myself breaking down J.J. Redick’s shot selection. I didn’t know what I was talking about, but I just yelled “GAOOOOOOL!!!” after every basket. The station’s seven viewers ate it up.

I don’t want to tell ESPN how to run their business (execute Joe Theismann now, before he makes our nation’s youth any dumber) but I’ve got to think that just about anything else they put on ESPN2 would get better ratings. How many folks were flipping channels and said, “I’m not interested in that game, but if I could watch it from directly above …”?

By the way, guys, the number four team in the country, Memphis, was playing at the same time. Maybe some of us have doctor’s orders not to listen to Dick Vitale for long periods. Help me out a little here.

No comments: