Monday, July 30, 2007

Reports from camp

Veterans started coming into camp today, and in a show of sportsmanship many of the old-timers made sure to catch up with the rookies and give them advice on life in the NFL. I couldn’t make it up to Lehigh myself but my sources around camp made sure to report back to me on some of their tidbits:

RB Correll Buckhalter (speaking with new RB Tony Hunt):
“When you hit the line, really push from the bottom of your feet. You’re gonna feel a lot of torque in your knees, but don’t worry about that. This training staff is really good at preventing knee injuries.”

C Jamaal Jackson (speaking with C Jasper Harvey)
“You might want to practice handling the ball when it’s really wet and slimy – really, really slimy, like someone lost their lunch on it. I’m just saying, it comes in useful.”

DE Jerome McDougal (speaking with DE Marques Murrell)
“Hey, I’m as surprised as you are that I’m still on the roster.

WR Greg Lewis (speaking with WR Zac Collie)
“Yeah, I understand you went to BYU too, but I’m telling you it doesn’t buy you any help. If big Andy is hungry, and you drop a pass, he will eat you. What do you think happened to Freddie Mitchell?”

QB Donovan McNabb (speaking with QB Kevin Kolb):
“Go away.”

CB Sheldon Brown (speaking with CB Rashard Barksdale)
“You can go talk to him, but I’m not introducing you. I’m still afraid of Kearse. I don’t think your arms are supposed to reach that far.”

FB Thomas Tapeh (speaking with RB Nate Ilaoa)
“I wouldn’t worry about those passing drills too much – this isn’t really a passing offense. Besides, they’ll still throw to you even if you drop every single pass your way. ”

FS Brian Dawkins (speaking with FS C.J. Gaddis)
“No, I didn’t know that you’re a safety out of Clemson too. That’s pretty cool. Did you know I can snap a grown man in two like a twig? No? Why don’t you back off a little then.

QB Koy Detmer (speaking with LB Akeem Jordan)
“Yeah, I know my name isn’t on there, but trust me: I always make the team.”

No comments: