Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Advice from video games

Today’s episode: Questions sent in by readers answered using commentary by Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds on Triple Play 2002, while controlling the AL All-Stars against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (final score: 25-0).

Dear AFVG,
What’s the weather supposed to be like tonight? I missed the 5 o’clock news, and I really need to find out.
-- H. Scwartz, Philadelphia

Reynolds: Ooooh, boy! We’ve got a hot one tonight!
Costas: I hear that.


Dear AFVG,
I’m a sports writer who usually covers basketball, but I’ll be doing a little baseball writing this year. Any advice how to pick up on the nuances of the game?
-- S. A. Smith, Philadelphia

Reynolds: Listen to that ball scream AAAEEEEE! That’s outta here.
Costas: Well said. I hear that.

Dear AFVG,
It seems to me that you guys, like all commentators, just say the most obvious things and then repeat it again and again. I don’t really have a question. I just wanted you to know that I hate you.
-- J. Rome, Los Angeles
Costas: That got out of here in a hurry.
Reynolds: You said it. That one got out of here in a hurry.

Dear AFVG,
My teammate has been making trips out late at night and coming home with bloodshot eyes and odd behavior. The other guys think he’s buying pot, but I don’t think coach would allow that. What do you think?
-- T. Romo, Dallas

Reynolds: He grabbed that one and smoked it!
Costas: You said it.


Dear AFVG,
What do you think about Roger Clemens return to baseball? Will this guy be able to be as impressive as he was in the past? Eveyone's a fan of him now, but I wonder if they'll change their mind right away if he struggles.
-- D. Patrick, Bristol

Reynolds: This pitcher is done. They gotta get him out of here.
Costas: And he catches him with the fastball! Strike out, Clemens!
Reynolds: Ooooh, boy! This guy still has great stuff. He’s unbelievable.
Costas: And that about wraps it up. From all of us at EA Sports, good night, folks.

2 comments:

KidSmartyPants said...

I always wondered what could be done with those inane comments from video sports commentators. Their banter is entertaining for about 3 games and then I tend to look for the option to turn them off. Thanks, cap'n, for finding a new and exciting way to use their comments.

Capt. Awesome said...

Wait, you haven't been using these as life advice? What's wrong with you?