Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Excited about football

I'll be the first to admit it: I didn't think I'd be psyched about football this year, but as soon as this week rolled around I found myself desperate to see the boys back on the field again. Why? Consider the following:

1 -- This team is nothing but young talent. The squad has 16 key players under 30, and a handful more who just hit that magic number.

2 -- The Philly defense still has some major holes, but the offense already looks to be coming along just fine. That doesn't necessarily mean more wins, but it does make for some exciting shootouts.

3 -- The fan base has already been rabid, and there's no reason to think that they're going to calm down anytime soon.

4 -- The playoffs are a real possibility. When you look at the other teams in their division, none of them have a clear edge. Sure, it'll take some luck, but it's not an impossible climb up to a playoff slot.

I know a lot of folks are pessimistic looking ahead, but don't count me among them. Football is back for good this week, and it should be a time for excitement throughout Philadelphia.

It all starts on Saturday, when the MLS All-Star break wraps up and the Philadelphia Union retake the field to start the second half of the football season. Who would have thought their inaugural season could be this exciting?

Join or Die, baby. Join or Die.

Wait, you thought I was talking about these jerks? Hell no. Nothing about this NFL season looks like fun.

No comments: