Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fantasy recap, Week 6



Most shocking news in the NFL



          Titans QB Vince Young strained his right quadriceps muscle during Sunday's loss to Tampa Bay and may miss action next week. He had an MRI exam Monday is considered day to day right now.
          Injuries are so unpredictable in this league -- I can't believe Young got injured. I'm sure he'll only miss a little time, but you've gotta wonder if there was any sign of this coming.
          Oh, wait, there was this...




Top Performers



** QB: Tom Brady, 44.02 pts – started by Jo
** RB: LaDanian Tomlinson, 47.87 pts – started by me
** WR: Wes Welker, 33.11 pts – started by Jim
** TE: Tony Gonzalez, 27.80 pts – started by Joel
** K: Matt Stover, 18.00 pts – started by Jo
** DEF: Baltimore, 26.00 pts – started by Eric
          So if we all had such good players this week, why did Paul have the most points yet again? It baffles the mind…




Stupidest thing I heard this week



          This one comes from down south in Miami, where color commentator Don Bailey Jr. was telling me what to watch for as Georgia Tech took possession with four minutes left in the fourth quarter of a 14-14 game against Miami:
          “What I’d do is try to use up some time on this clock and then at least kick a field goal; You need to get some points here.”
          Surprisingly, the Yellow Jackets decided to try that strategy instead of their normal “don’t score in tie games” philosophy. It paid off – Miami lost 17-14.




Worst performers, “Players we own” edition



Third Place: (tie)Jason Avant, 0.00 pts – started by Joel
Third Place: (tie)James Jones, 0.00 pts – started by Joel
Second Place: Kurt Warner, -1.16 pts – started by Joel
First Place: Santana Moss, -2.00 pts – sitting on Eric’s bench
          Loose use of the word “we” here; It’s mostly just Joel, who got hammered this week. But that’s just bad luck – it takes work to win the coveted …




Andy Reid Blown Call of the Week award



          Eric actually gets this one: Sure, he benched Moss before the WR could fumble away his fantasy team’s success, but Eric gets full credit for starting a defense on a bye and leaving another 49 pts on his bench. That would have been enough to jump him from ninth place into sixth in the standings.
          Honorable mention goes to Rams coach Scott Linehan, who for some reason thought starting 87-year-old QB Gus Ferrote against the Ravens was a good idea. Five interceptions and three points later (he was worth -3.48 points in our league) he might have second thoughts. Then again, he has led the pre-season playoff pick Rams to an 0-6 record, so maybe not.




Putting the Patsies in perspective



** New England is averaging just over 38 points in its six games this year. For comparison, the other 31 teams in the league have only topped 38 points eight times in 88 tries so far this season.
** New England scored 82 points in its last two games. For comparison, the Bills, Broncos, Saints, 49ers and Rams haven't scored that many all season.
** New England QB Tom Brady has 21 TD passes this year in six games. That puts him on pace for 56, which would shatter Peyton Manning's single season mark of 49. It's also the same number that Manning (9), McNabb (6), Drew Brees (3) and Marc Bulger (2) have combined.
** New England's margin of victory has narrowed with two recent close games (48-27 and 34-17 wins) to a mere 23-point average over their opponents.
** New England's most important team number? One -- that's how many Red Sox losses are left before anyone up there notices the Patriots are playing.




Cowboys anagram insult of the week



          “Finally, it’s the cowboys turn to lose.” Was T.O.’s pre-game bragging to blame? Almost certainly, as we see hidden in that phrase:
** Thy be one win for us all. Costly is tot. **
          Seriously, you’ve gotta be impressed that I can turn just any phrase about the cowboys losing into a philosophical statement. And if you’re not…
** Cowboys loss --- Sob! Scowl! Yo! **
          It’s always good to have a backup – just ask the Rams.




Our standings so far



First Place: I need linebackers, Paul -- 961.68 pts
Second Place: Updog, Neal -- 813.71 pts
Third Place: We Want Detmers -- 807.34 pts
          Jo and Jim are locked in a battle for third place – which is great because nothing else is changing much. Except I’m finally ahead of Dad.




For the record



** The professional column isn't up yet, but here is a fun professional blog post.
** I came up small on jokes/stats related to the Boise State/Nevada Sunday night college football game which ended 69-67 in four overtimes. I had some basketball jokes, and some defensive jokes, and some notes about 1,200-plus yards of offense, but in the end I got nothing. Just like Nevada.

4 comments:

KidSmartyPants said...

Don't look at me, I don't have a clue. I was in Charlotte last week (and again this week) and I was away over the weekend (went to Fallingwater House) so I didn't even get to check my lineup before the match, hence why I started a kicker on a bye.

As I could Ms. SmartyPants, I intend to let Yahoo! draft for me next year as well since they obviously know much more about fantasy drafting than I do. Until then, I'll just enjoy my 140 point lead.

Jo said...

Pauly -- what's with the crummy commercial? I thought that link was gonna be an exclusive Laub photo collection. First you're drafting Cowboys, now you're shilling for the PA tourism bureau...I hardly know you any more!

Anonymous said...

Come on, leave Paulie alone....you know hell crash and burn later in the season when have his team is hurt and he's begging for players since there's no one on the waiver wire....oh wait, that's me right now! On another Pennsylvania note...I'm flipping through the channels one night before bed, and I come upon the PCN channel (guessing PA Community Network...I'm sure Leo can come up with a better anagram than that)and there are a few journalists speaking about the upcoming primaries and elections in the State of PA...and who do I see, looking all dapper and respectable like, chimes in? THAL has made his television debut. I still don't remember what he was talking about...lips were moving, but guess I was just half asleep and not having it at the time...or moreso confused...or maybe both. New show will be out this spring - The Thal Report. Just in time for sweeps...

KidSmartyPants said...

Don't worry, Jojo, there will be pictures soon.

They're still on the camera right now, and the camera is with me in Charlotte. When I get home tonight, I'll download them and try to get them online so you can see how cool it would be to own a string of department stores so you can pay a world class architect to design a kick ass house for you (Fallingwater House was designed for the Kaufmann family who owned a few department stores in Pittsburgh).

Dingus, I think Thal has been on TV a few times. If you check his blog, Don't Blog the Baby, I'm sure there's more information on when you can view him on TV.