Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fantasy recap, Week 3



Negatives from Sunday’s Eagles game


          Nobody is perfect. Here’s what they did wrong:
:( -- The defensive line only accounted for 7 of the 8 sacks, not all eight.
:( -- QB Kevin Kolb had a sack and a fumble in his debut.
:( -- WR Reggie Brown (two catches, 23 yards) still kinda sucked.
:( -- WE Greg Lewis still isn’t in jail.
          Like I said, nobody’s perfect … except for McNabb, who had a perfect 158.3 passer rating, the 33rd time that’s happened in NFL history.



Top Performers



** QB: Donovan McNabb, 37.94 pts -– started by Dad
** RB: Ronnie Brown, 43.80 pts – started by Neal
** WR: Kevin Curtis, 43.73 pts -- started by Dad
** TE: Antonio Gates, 18.53 pts – started by Bob
** K: Matt Stover, 16.00 pts -- sitting on the wire
** DEF: Dallas, 23.00 pts -- started by Jeff
          I’m shocked too; Not only was Westy not the best back (41.40 pts) but none of the Eagles were the best player on the week, thanks to Ronnie Brown. That’s awful. They’ll just have to score 56 points again next week and see if they get to the top.



Andy Reid blown call of the week Award



          Before I run out of season, I want to give a summer achievement award to Charlie “six pitcher” Manuel for taking one of the most talented Philly teams of the last 25 years from an assured playoff berth to the brink of playoff elimination. Let’s review:
          Last year’s MVP? Check.
          This year’s MVP, Jimmy Rollins? Check.
          The best second baseman in the pros? Check.
          Three above-average outfielders, and two solid backups? Check.
          Three 10-game winners, and a fourth on the way in Kyle Kendrick? Check.
          A plus-11 game record at home, and a MLB best 48 come-from-behind wins? Check.

          Congrats, Uncle Charlie. Maybe using every pitcher in the bullpen every night isn’t the best plan.



Worst performers, "notable QBs" edition



Third Place: Marc Bulger, -1.36 pts -- started by Ant
Second Place: JP Losman, -1.84 pts -- sitting on the wire
First Place: Kevin Kolb, -2.20 points -- sitting on the wire
          Just missing the cut? The Bears’ Rex Grossman (three INTs, 3.00 pts), the Cardinals’ Matt Leinart (53 yards passing, 2.32 pts), and the Saints' Drew Brees (four INTs, -0.80 pts).



A look at my fantasy college football team



** QB Graham Harrell, TX Tech: 646 pass yards, 5 TDs; 55.84 fantasy pts.
** RB Matt Forte, Tulane: 303 rushing yards, 5 TDs; 60.30 fantasy pts.
** WR Enron Riley, Duke: 235 receiving, 4 TDs; 39.67 fantasy pts.
** DEF Va Tech: 3 points allowed, 2 return TDs, 3 INTs, 5 sacks; 33.00 pts.



Stupidest thing I heard this week



          Unfortunately I didn’t catch the name of the ESPN weekend anchor who dropped this gem, but I haven’t been able to get the echo out of my head:
          “…Michigan beat Penn State 14-9, and Notre Dame drops to 0-4 after losing to Michigan State. Now, all the rest of today’s games are either final, in progress now or coming up later tonight. Number 1 USC…”
          So none of today’s games are being played tomorrow, or won’t get played at all? Thanks for the update.



Cowboy anagram insult of the week



          I just realized yesterday that I never gave Bill Parcells’ replacement a proper welcome. So what can we learn about “Cowboys Head Coach Wade Phillips” by taking a closer look:
          **Hobo’s way is clichéd, a capped howl”
          Sounds like a winner to me.



Video corner



          I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks now, but if you want to check out real gridiron action you need to be following Gahanna Pee Wee football. I've already started scouting players for my 2018 fantasy football team -- #72 looks like a keeper. At the very least, I'm pretty sure he could take down Anthony.



Our standings so far



First Place: I Need Linebackers, Paul -- 541.44 pts
Second Place: Updog, Neal -- 447.70 pts
Third Place: Guliani's 2nd Wife, Jim -- 429.99 pts
          Another week, another near 200-point performance: This time Dad posted 188.63 points. Meanwhile, Paul is losing about 30 points a week but still opening up a lead ... and my best performance of the year dropped me from eighth to ninth. Clearly, I don't get it.



For the record



** The professional column is up.
** I'm pretty sure Dad is eight up on me already, but to be honest I lost count after six games. It's a bloodbath so far.
** If you missed Jim's crazy rant from last week, be sure to check it out this week. Seriously -- they let this guy around impressionable young children?

2 comments:

KidSmartyPants said...

The problem, Cap'n, is that you actually remembered to edit your draft lineups. You should have done like me, and hoped that the Yahoo! gods had it right. I'm sure my luck is about to end, but it's been a fun run while it lasted.

For those who may be interested, check out some photos from jojo's birthday. We do eventually post our pictures. It just takes us a long time. Enjoy!

Capt. Awesome said...

Don't peddle that fake modesty crap around here ... you're going down!